Apologies to all for this late post, but on my way to catch the LIRR in
Cedarhurst, NY yesterday morning around 8:20 AM, I encountered a female wild
turkey darting in and out of traffic on Washington Ave. about a half block from
the train station. Wild turkeys aren't so unusual, but the location certainly
was. This is southwest Nassau County, Long Island, just SE of JFK airport on
the border with Queens. I am curious as to whether turkeys have been seen on
the South Shore - I've been here since 1997 and never seen one here, let alone
wandering the sidewalks and lawns of suburbia. Unfortunately I couldn't stay to
make sure the bird was ok but I have cell phone pics to record the encounter.
Cindy WodinskyCedarhurst, NY