The 59th Captree Christmas Bird Count, in southwestern Suffolk County, was
conducted on Sunday, December 19th, 2021.  The count had an impressive
showing of participants who were thankfully able to dutifully cover their
areas, all while continuing to take strict COVID-19 precautions.  The day
started off with less-than ideal weather; with scattered early-morning
showers which eventually dried out, but the weather ended up turning
windier than desirable.

After a small cold snap earlier in the fall, sustained higher-than-average
regional temperatures (including those north of us) provided a similar
pattern to other Long Island CBC's: numbers of seabirds were very low (9
Surf Scoter, 31 White-winged Scoter, 79 Black Scoter, 12 Common Eider, 0
Razorbill) and numbers of half-hardy birds were well represented.
Continuing to echo other CBC's, we broke our previous high count of
White-throated Sparrows with 1,097 and completely missed Bonaparte's Gull-
a species which, while declining on Long Island CBC's generally, was so
numerous last year as to set a new high total.  Fish Crow and Brown-headed
Cowbird numbers were also remarkably low, with only 19 and 2 observed,
respectively.  In addition, and unsurprisingly, all "winter finches" except
Purple Finch were missed.

The greatest disappointment was certainly the fact that the previous day's
Northern Lapwing (found at Santapogue Creek, in the Gardiner Territory, by
Mike Vedder) had vanished overnight and was not seen on the count day.
Amazingly, that was one of three new Captree CBC additions to the checklist
alongside Short-billed Dowitcher (Gardiner) and Clay-colored Sparrow
(Seatuck)- though these latter two species were seen on the count day.  A
putative Great black-backed by Herring Gull hybrid would be an additional
"form" for this checklist, too.

On count day, 36,391 individual birds of an impressive 128 species were
counted.  This species total is equal to last year (tying our ten-year
max), but well above the 59-year average of 116 species and ten-year
average of 121.

A sampling of our more unusual birds (ordered somewhat taxonomically) are
listed below:

Cackling Goose - East
Canvasback - Gardiner
Red Knot - Fire
Harlequin Duck - East
Red-necked Grebe - Fire
Virginia Rail - Seatuck & East
American Oystercatcher - Jones
Long-billed Dowitcher - Gardiner
Short-billed Dowitcher - Gardiner
American Woodcock - Seatuck
Wilson's Snipe - Seatuck
Great Black-backed x Herring Gull - Belmont
American Bittern - East
Great Egret - Belmont & Heckscher
Black-crowned Night Heron - Gardiner & East
Red-shouldered Hawk - Belmont
Northern Saw-whet Owl - Seatuck & East
Eastern Bluebird - Connetquot
Marsh Wren - Gardiner, Seatuck, & East
Purple Finch - North
Palm Warbler - Fire & Jones
Pine Warbler - Connetquot & Seatuck
Orange-crowned Warbler - Belmont, Seatuck, & Heckscher
Clay-colored Sparrow - Seatuck
"Ipswich" Sparrow - Gardiner
Rusty Blackbird - Belmont
Eastern Meadowlark - Gardiner, North, Heckscher, & East

In addition to what was observed on count day, observers had three
excellent count-week birds: the aforementioned Northern Lapwing (Gardiner),
Eastern Phoebe (Gardiner), and a very late Blue-headed Vireo (Gardiner).
Unfortunately a Lapland Longspur found yesterday by Joan Q at Robert Moses
was just outside the count week!
As mentioned above, White-throated Sparrow represented a new high count.
Additional new maxima included Canada Goose (9,322), Greater Yellowlegs
(14), Great Horned Owl (7), Northern Saw-whet Owl (5), Common Raven (18-
prev. 4), Chipping Sparrow (11), & Pine Warbler (5), among others.
Thankfully we didn't come close to touching 1971's high count of European
Starling which was 150,000.

While some numbers were low, we luckily managed to avoid too many
unbelievable misses (though certainly more than we would have liked!).
Some species which are scarce and tough to pin down like Wild Turkey and
Great Cormorant were missed. So too were species which can sometimes be
reliable but have been hard to find this winter such as Bonaparte's Gull,
American Pipit, Razorbill, and Common Grackle. Snowy Owl was also a miss,
despite it apparently being a good winter for them in our region.

Once again, concerns for the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic precluded the
ability to have an in-person compilation, which is always one of the real
highlights of the day.  Instead a compilation was held over Zoom on
December 22.  Earlier in the fall, when the COVID-numbers were looking more
optimistic, an in-person compilation was tentatively scheduled at the
Seatuck Environmental Association's Scully Estate.  As such, we would like
to extend our gratitude for originally agreeing to host us.  We hope to
have an in-person compilation next year, provided it is safe to do so.

We would also like to extend our gratitude to the New York State Parks
Department, US Fish and Wildlife Service, and the Town of Babylon.  We are
grateful that these agencies permit our count participants to access
various parks, wildlife refuges, etc. which may be typically restricted to
the public.

The results of this count will be shared with the Audubon Society, USFWS,
Great South Bay Audubon, and anyone else who requests a summary.

Thank you very much to our area leaders and all participants, both
long-time veterans and newcomers, who joined the count.  Please do not
hesitate to reach out if you're interested in joining this Christmas Bird
Count for next year- tentatively scheduled for December 18, 2022!

Best wishes for the holiday season,
Co-compilers Brent Bomkamp and Taylor Sturm