Reports (with some photos, mostly-distant) continue of the Steller’s Sea-Eagle
from Nova Scotia, Canada, into April 5th.

.  .  .
Awesome pix of the American Bittern of March 31st: that is, the one at Astoria
Park in (northeast sector of) Queens County, NY, seen end-of-day there by
observer Megan Gray (photos are in the Macaulay Library archive via eBird).  A
“slightly” less-birded site than Central Park (latter nearby but in Manhattan -
An Am.Bittern seen at Central Park on 3/31 was watched by many hundreds in
total over the course of that same day.) The former’s eBird list & some pix:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S106277640 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S106277640>
 Patch-birding at its best.

. . . .
New York County (in N.Y. City), including Manhattan, Randall’s Island, and
Governors Island
Saturday, April 2 through Tuesday, April 5th -

A long-staying Western Tanager continued through Tuesday, April 5th, at Carl
Schurz Park on Manhattan’s far-east side, east of East End Ave.; the tanager
showing at times at & near a feeder array and just north of there, along the
western edge of that park & to the south of the main park entrance on E. 86th
St. (& the feeder set-up from that entrance, up flight of steps & also just
west of the n.-w. gate to the Catbird Playground, in same park.)  This bird can
require patience to observe; it can be skulking as well as sitting in areas
other than near the feeders.

The Vesper Sparrow was seen in Central Park on Sat., 4/2 (and quietly
photographed - photo is archived in the Macaulay Library) by the Great Lawn;
this species is usually less-observed in spring migration in the county than in
the fall season, when also (at best) uncommonly-found.  A Lincoln’s Sparrow
(that wintered) was still at Greeley Square Park to at least Sunday, 4/3.

>From Governors Island on Sunday, 4/3 came this photo now archived in the
>Macaulay Library (thanks, C. Williams) of Blue-gray Gnatcatcher in one of the
>early appearances for that site: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/431516861
><https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/431516861>  Farther back to March 27th, a
>Pied-billed Grebe had been photo’d. at Governors Island, poss. the most-recent
>of that species in the county.

Tuesday, April 5th brought some additional migration as well as some exodus
(i.e., onward-migration ) while the Yellow-throated Warbler lingered on in
Central Park (in same areas as in prior days), as did the 4 other species of
warblers seen daily in recent days:  Palm, Pine, [Myrtle] Yellow-rumped, and
Louisiana Waterthrush, all of those latter four in the multiple just in
Central, and a few additional Louisiana Waterthrushes, in locations away from
Central, too.  5 Hooded Mergansers were at Randall’s Island.  Ducks in Central
Park included hen and drake Ring-necked Ducks and 2 Red-breasted Mergansers, as
well as at least 2 drake Wood Ducks, and ongoing (but few) Hooded Mergansers,
Ruddy Ducks, Buffleheads, and (still many) N. Shovelers.  A Red-throated Loon
was lingering on Central Park’s reservoir, while others have continued in the
salt-waters of the county.  Multiple observers reported House Wren (1) in
Central Park on Tues., just a bit early although a few others of the species
have been found even earlier this spring, in the region.

On Monday, April 4th, 5 warbler species were present in Central Park & while
seen by fewer than over the week-end, the Yellow-throated Warbler that was
first discovered in the park (and first of the year for NY state, it seems) by
Paul Sweet [A.M.N.H.] was again the most-popular of those; far less-viewed for
Monday was Louisiana Waterthrush (although seen by a number of observers), and
likely the most-numerous of the five species scattered around (and same in
terms of all of the county) was Pine Warbler, of which latter an increasing
number of females are joining the multiple males also passing through. The
Yellow-throated Warbler has continued to make rounds of the areas from near
Belvedere Castle in Central Park, to the outer edges of the Turtle Pond area
just east, and across (over) a Transverse (below-grade crosstown street) to the
n. portions of the Ramble area, all this still an area perhaps delinated in far
less than a hectare in total. Lack of much leaf-out yet is a contributing
factor to the relative ‘ease’ of finding / following this individual, along
with the fact that its’ rare-status (& appearance) stand out. 'Ear-birders' are
also finding this active warbler via its calls, at times.

Numbers of Golden-crowned Kinglets swelled again around the county by Monday,
and a number of other species started to show in somewhat higher numbers, a
sample of which included: Ospreys, Turkey Vultures, Yellow-shafted Flickers, E.
Phoebes (yes, again, still more of those), N. Rough-winged Swallows, Hermit
Thrush (more-modestly than some other migrants, but an uptick, again), E.
Towhees (quite modest uptick), Slate-colored Juncos, Chipping Sparrows, Swamp
Sparrows, [Red] Fox Sparrows (getting perhaps nearer to their ‘hoorah' now),
and American Goldfinches - with of course at least a few Purple Finches also
coming through (and one that many were observing, in part thanks to reporting
from keen watchers in walks past the well-known Central Park Ramble-feeders in
the morning hours; this species was moving as far-back as several weeks ago
thru the county but in v.modest no’s. then, also); many many other species also
on the move as well - and that includes many birds moving-on and passing over
in the night on reasonably-good migration nights, plus the morning-flights
occuring many recent mornings, and of course for some species, entirely-diurnal
movements.  Red-breasted Nuthatches have been scant but lately observed in a
few locations, including in Central Park.

“Upticks” and increases noted above and generally are based in part on my own
wanderings up-down and around in Manhattan in particular and forays to the
other 2 islands noted as part of the county, & of course from *many*
observations by keen, active, and watchful other birders & naturalists. Reports
of waders such as Gr. Yellowlegs based in part on calls (and in flight) are of
interest with a good many shorebirds on the move lately in the wider region.
I’ll also add that, at Randall’s Island recently (& not for the first time) I
watched a N. Mockingbird include, in its vocal repertoire, some ok-renditions
of Gr. Yellowlegs… along with imitation of many other birds and other sounds.

Some of the species seen in N.Y. County for the 4 days of this report -

Canada Goose
[Atlantic] Brant (still numerous in a few areas)
Mute Swan (off Randall’s Island)
Wood Duck (multiple, some on passage only)
Gadwall (good no’s.)
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler (good no’s., esp. for Central Park)
Green-winged Teal (1, Governors Island)
Ring-necked Duck (pair in Central Park on 4/5)
Bufflehead (still fair no’s.)
Common Goldeneye (reported off Randall’s Island)
Hooded Merganser (ongoing - plus some evidence of passage)
Red-breasted Merganser
Ruddy Duck
Osprey (increasing - on passage)
Bald Eagle
Northern Harrier
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coot (lingering but fewer by Tuesday)
Red-throated Loon (including some movement)
Common Loon (some movement)
Great Cormorant (still around, but have been departing)
Double-crested Cormorant (increasing)
Great Blue Heron (increased - on passage)
Great Egret (increased on passage)
Snowy Egret (small no’s., so far)
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture (increasing - on passage)
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs (several recent reports of birds in-flight, esp. from
Randall’s Island)
Wilson's Snipe (reports from several areas)
American Woodcock (far fewer this week)
Laughing Gull (scarce in the county. so far)
Ring-billed Gull (many)
[American] Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
American Kestrel
Merlin
Peregrine Falcon
['feral'] Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
[ongoing owls]
Belted Kingfisher (small no’s. on passage, fairly few lingering)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (increased)
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Yellow-shafted Flicker (ongoing increases)
Eastern Phoebe (contuing to pass through)
Blue Jay (numerous)
Common Raven (many sightings from a variety of locations around the county)
American Crow (numerous)
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee (very modest no’s.)
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch (scarce)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper (ongoing in fair no’s.)
Carolina Wren
House Wren (reports of one: 4/5, Central Park)
Winter Wren (slight increase)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (good no’s. continued; increases of females)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (increasing)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (scarce, so far)
Hermit Thrush (very modest increases)
American Robin (very commom now - nests underway for some)
Gray Catbird (lingering birds which have overwintered)
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
House Sparrow
Cedar Waxwing (in good no’s., multiple locations in the county)
Eastern Towhee (apparent small increases)
Slate-colored Junco (ongoing on passage and modest no’s. lingering)
Chipping Sparrow (increasing)
Field Sparrow (slight increase)
Vesper Sparrow (photographed in Central Park on 4/2)
Savannah Sparrow (still scant)
[Red] Fox Sparrow (fairly good no’s. with some in small parks & green-spaces)
Song Sparrow (many)
Lincoln's Sparrow (has wintered at Greeley Square Park)
Swamp Sparrow (increased)
White-throated Sparrow (many)
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Rusty Blackbird (few)
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
Yellow-throated Warbler (1, of the ‘albilora’ type, Central Park)
[Myrtle] Yellow-rumped Warbler (still modest no’s.)
Pine Warbler (increased)
Palm Warbler (in modest no’s.)
Louisiana Waterthrush (small increases this report’s period)
Western Tanager (the long-lingering individual at Carl Schurz Park)
Purple Finch
House Finch
American Goldfinch (slight increase)
& very-likely some additional species.
………….
Many more plants showing off some color and/or beginning to green-up;
correspondingly, insect & arthropd life also is increasing, most-evidently in
observing some of the floral displays around the county.  And in closely
watching the feeding-behaviors of our increasing insectivorous migrants (and
resident birds also taking advantages of the food sources)

good birding to all,

Tom Fiore
manhattan