Josh,

Thanks for sharing this observation. We also noticed flocks of DC Cormorants
migrating over Long Island yesterday. For me and many others, observing
different kinds of movements is equally if not more interesting than seeing
different species.

This morning I saw over 200 White-winged Scoters migrating over the ocean at
Robert Moses SP, Suffolk County. This evening might be a good opportunity to
see overland flights of species like White-winged Scoter, as well as Brant and
others.

There were all kinds of movements at RMSP this morning: DC Cormorants and
Common Loons migrating eastward; immature gulls (including a Bonaparte's Gull)
plodding eastward; the first Wilson's Storm-Petrels, arriving from the
Antarctic, also heading east; a smattering of Neotropical migrants re-orienting
westward, highlighted by great looks at a Bay-breasted Warbler in overland
flight; and enigmatic things that nobody understands, such six Red-bellied
Woodpeckers and a Blue Jay flying westward, as though they had arrived
overnight from over the ocean, like the warblers!

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore