The TOWNSEND'S Warbler found on Friday in Green-Wood Cemetery - in Brooklyn
[Kings County, N.Y. City] was again present for the foggy-start of SATURDAY
5/21, and being seen & documented by MANY on-scene. *Please heed the requests
for polite and considerate observing and use* of that site (Thank You), which
is an actively-used cemetery for many - and has permitted birders to enter and
quietly observe birds in their large and beautifully-maintained grounds. See
various alerts via eBird and all-local alerts for this warbler as it remains
and delights so many.

____________
Sat., May 21st - Manhattan, N.Y. City (with notes also for other parts of N.Y.
County on prior recent days):

A [presumptive] GRASSHOPPER Sparrow has been reported (and photographed) at
HighBridge Park, in the “Heights” of northern Manhattan, by finder-observer E.
Schumann, quite early on Saturday May 21.    This may be the first-of-year in
N.Y. County (I’m aware of the sighting of this species for Randall’s Island -
in same county - from last December, shortly before the C.B.C. period then) and
is always a good find. It’s also a good thing to think “outside the box” and
consider potential alternative species, esp. with any members of the sparrow
tribe in the Americas.

A presumed (& perhaps soon-confirmed in archival records) FORSTER’S Tern was
seen at Randall’s Island Sat. morning (5/21) by multiple obs. and this
following a confirmed/documented sighting of one farther south at Governors
Island 2 days prior (see below); many many other nice sightings also continue
to made from Randall’s (in N.Y. County) as the spring moves along - this still
included more than a dozen species of (many migrant) Warblers there, & a
selection of sparrow species, etc. for Saturday.

- - -
With (**multiple**) BICKNELL’S  Thrushes having been fairly-well documented by
many keen, quiet observers over recent days (including that at the Upper Lobe
area of Central Park’s “Lake” - an area which is adjacent to “the Ramble” -
from FRIDAY, May 20th there - as well as by more quiet obs. (and photographers
& videographers) again on SAT., May 21st - along with the Bicknell’s Thrush
sightings ongoing at the n.-w. sector of Central Park and yet-more of this
species being reported, some with good details and (at least) photos, if not
with call or song recordings made with care, and without disturning these (a
very-threatened thrush-species, with low global population, vastly fewer in
world population than all other of our typical N. American-breeding migrant
thrushes in the northeastern region of the continent) there have been presumed
sightings/hearings of this species from a good many areas & locations in the
county, most (of this season) in the last week.  The “Upper Lobe” Central Park
Bicknell’s -of Friday- was seen & heard by many, some just observing visually,
some also having heard calls or song.  BAY-BREASTED Warblers had a fantastic
showing in N.Y. County for Friday 5/20 and many were still around the county on
Sat. 5/21. Likely *more than 100 individuals* of the latter species were noted
for *all of the county* on Friday. (This species, like Cape May, Tennessee, and
some other songbirds has done fairly well on breeding grounds in recent times,
in part thanks to ongoing strong spruce budworm occurrences, esp. in those
boreal-forest areas in parts of eastern Canada.)

Saturday was bringing a lot of freshly-arrived migrants and still quite nice
diversity, with songbirds being found ALL around the county, not merely in the
several “usual” sites where a lot of observers concentrate efforts. Much more
may be reported for this weekend at a future time-date.  A ‘late’ Y.-b.
Sapsucker was lingering at Battery Park City Park to at least Saturday, 5/21
(C. Williams, et al), and others of that species have been seen, some in the
smaller parks and greenspaces around the county into late May.

SUMMER Tanager was still being seen in Central Park (and poss. lingering
elsewhere in the county) - at least documented thru Friday May 20, at Central’s
n. end (by some of our keenest observers) on-site. This last species can show a
procilivity to linger a while - in some years, for extended periods of a given
season, in a given location (in this county). A Broad-winged Hawk was
photo-confirmed for Friday, 5/20 in Central Park, an uncommonly late date for
that site in particular in spring.

>From Wood Duck thru both [of our species of migrant] Cuckoos (and
>Yellow-billed in the multiple) along with Mourning Warblers (females and male)
>in Central Park on Saturday (5/21) there were well over 100 species in that
>one park alone, and far more species for ther county overall, including
>sightings on the ‘other islands” in addition to Manhattan island.

Blackpoll Warblers are now reigning high in the Parulidae migrations and many
more female Blackpolls have started to show.  (The super find of a Townsend’s
Warbler just recently in the county of Kings, NY is a reminder that excellent -
and some rather unexpected - birds may [and will] show in the later and latter
parts of spring’s songbird & landbird movements. This is also possible right on
into June, here.   More than 1-dozen Warbler spp. were seen at Riverside Park
to Sat. 5/21 as well and of those, Blackpoll -& also Bay-breasted- were again
numerous.

Also seen Saturday (5/21) at Central Park were at least 5 spp. of Vireos (two
of which breed annually), and by mid-morning there at least 18 spp. of American
Warblers, with a few slightly late but not at all unprecedented.  With all
those many Blackpolls have also been lots-more of Cedar Waxwings, another good
indicator for the later phases of spring/northward landbird movement
hereabouts.

We can detail some of the finds of Caprimulgidae (3 species) from N.Y. County
in the past few days (and including all on May 21st, pre-dawn hours) at a later
date. For owl species, at least the 2 resident speecies of the county continue
on (and the vistitant species which consisted of at least 5 additional owl
species from last autumn thru [some] recently), are safe and securely on to
their breeding areas or at least on to other parts.  Two of the Caprimulgid
spp. seen & heard thru Sat. 5/21 were in Central Park, and one - Com. Nighthawk
- were seen in the multiple.

- - -
Excellent additional recent finds for N.Y. County - from Friday, May 20th -
include a Caspian Tern, and also a Lesser Black-backed Gull, among a lot of
other species seen at Randall’s Island by some keen (and frequent) visitors to
that location) - those also having been photographed. In addition, 2
Yellow-crowned Night-Herons were seen as fly-overs on the day at that location.

N.Y. County also added a great sighting of Forster’s Tern (also nicely
photo’d.) by one of the region’s keenest world-birders (from Kings
Co./Brooklyn) when one of that species came by Governors Island on Thursday,
May 19th. That day’s finds by the same observer included a confirmed Alder
Flycatcher for Governor’s Island - a species that perhaps is quite regular
every spring (and fall) during migration, but is very uncommonly-to-rarely
identified to exact species (many remain noted as either Empidonax-sp., or some
as “Traill’s” types (Alder or Willow, as a ‘sister’ pair within the Empidonax.

- - - -
Many, many insects are emerging in the heat and humidity, and vastly more will
be just now.   Also, for birders there may be opportunities to witness
“hatches” of insects where migrant bird swarm in to feast… and of course,
sources of bathing-drinking water for birds may prove popular, the more so in
such increasing heat and humidity.
____

[there was no re-find and no additional news on the unfortunately
disappearing-bunting of Thursday late-afternoon, in Central Park, which is
presumptively a painted bunting based on photos and description, with gender
perhaps not definitely-determined. Should there be any more of that or another
such, the sighting might be more-rapidly made public, assuming there is a way
of doing so and that any observer[s] have a strong sense of the possible
‘rarity' involved.]

good -and quietly-observed- birds to all, with thanks to so many fine
observers-reporters,

Tom Fiore
manhattan