Goose Creek Marsh, Pelham Bay Park
Thursday June 2, 2022
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen

Highlights for Goose Creek Marsh and the adjacent Bridle Path between the marsh
and Pelham and Split Rock Golf Course:

After checking several spots for summer resident Virginia Rails, finding 5-7,
we walked out to our favorite Saltmarsh Sparrow spot a few feet from the edge
of the main channel through the marsh where we found two Saltmarsh Sparrows.
Another sparrow in the vegetation along the edge of the channel flew across to
the opposite bank and was a Seaside Sparrow, a species now rare for Pelham Bay
Park, despite having nested there in 1955, when four pairs were reported
breeding by Charles Young.

Mourning Dove
Virginia Rail - 5-7, probably 3 pairs and a lone bird
Snowy Egret
Turkey Vulture - 2
Northern Flicker
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Willow Flycatcher - 2 or 3
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
American Crow - 2
Barn Swallow - at least a dozen nesting under the railroad bridge, others out
on the marsh
Marsh Wren - several singing
Carolina Wren - 1 or 2
Gray Catbird - several
Northern Mockingbird
American Robin
Seaside Sparrow - 1 at 10:36am
Saltmarsh Sparrow - 2
Song Sparrow - 2
Orchard Oriole - 3 (male, female, second-year male Bridle Path)
Baltimore Oriole - a few
Red-winged Blackbird - at least half-a-dozen
Common Yellowthroat - 3 or 4
Yellow Warbler - many

Plenty of Seaside Dragonlets about too.

Deb Allen

P. S. Should you wish to go out into the marsh to look for the sparrows and
rails, waterproof boots such as wellies are required. Avoid patches of Spartina
alterniflora, the taller of the two spartinas, as these may be growing in deep
water.