Hello - we want to invite anyone who is interested to join the Brooklyn
Bird club for any of our fall talks in person, at the Brooklyn Public
Library. Learn about our fall lineup here
<http://brooklynbirdclub.org/events/category/meetings/list/>.

Our first is coming up and will not only feature a talk, but also reveal a
photo contest we will co lead with Wikimedia Commons:

WIKIMEDIA COMMONS PHOTOGRAPHY (AND CONTEST!) WITH RYAN MCGRADY
SEPTEMBER 20 @ 6:30 PM - 7:45 PM
Location: Info Commons of Main Branch of Brooklyn Public Library**

When you type the name of a bird into a search engine, one of the first
links that inevitably pops up is Wikipedia. If you search for images of
that bird, one of the first you’ll see is likewise from Wikipedia. Even
images used elsewhere on the web may have originated on Wikipedia’s sister
site, Wikimedia Commons, which is the world’s largest free media
repository. Wikipedia is where a large part of the public learns about
birds, biology, wildlife refuges, wildlife conservation, and ecology. This
month we’ll talk about how easy it is to help improve the quality of that
information. You’ll learn more about the inner workings of a resource you
probably use all the time, as well as how you can help out if you so
choose. We’ll pay particular attention to contributing photos in
anticipation of a photo contest hosted by the Brooklyn Bird Club and
Wikimedia New York City.

Ryan McGrady a digital media researcher who volunteers on the board of
directors of Wikimedia New York City, a nonprofit which connects the people
and institutions of New York with Wikipedia and the broader free knowledge
ecosystem. He has been researching, teaching about, and/or managing
programs at the intersection of Wikipedia and education since 2007. He
began taking pictures to illustrate Wikipedia articles around 2013, and
when a casual interest in birds turned into a minor obsession during the
pandemic, it was a natural fit.

Tickets must be reserved in advance as the Information Commons Space is
restricted to 55 people total. You will not be admitted without a reserved
ticket. Please only reserve tickets if you plan to attend, if you can no
longer attend, please release your tickets so others have the opportunity.
Reserve tickets here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/413803676937

*Please note our meeting time has changed! We will begin at 6:30pm sharp!

**Please note this location is accessible with ramps and accessible
doorways at its main entrance.

Looking forward to welcoming folks back,

Jen Kepler