Hello birders!

Almost everyone who was able to watch the Limpkin this November in Lewiston,
noted that it was eating a prodigious number of snails. You usually only had
to wait a few seconds before you would see it probing into the ground,
pulling out a snail, cracking it open, peeling off the shell, then throwing
it down the hatch. I was told that this was not a native species of snail
but unfortunately, after seeing so many people, I don't remember who told me
that.

It is well known that Limpkins are expanding their breeding range in the
southeastern US, due to the presence of an invasive species of apple snail.
However, that apple snail has not made it anywhere close to NYS, as far as I
am aware. It is also much larger than the snails that the Limpkin was
feeding on in Lewiston.

If anyone knows anything about the snails that the Lewiston Limpkin was
feeding on, I would appreciate hearing from you. If you can provide a
published reference or let me know where your information is from, that
would be great. This could be used in an article I am currently writing.

There are several photos of the bird with a snail. You can look through all
of the photos of this bird on eBird:
https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=limpki
<https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=limpki&regionCode=US-NY-063>
&regionCode=US-NY-063

Some nice ones with a snail are in this checklist from Karen Lee Lewis:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122604545  Here is another from Brian Morse:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122609092  There is a nice close-up of the
snail in this checklist from Alan Bloom:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122570469  Another close-up here, from Tim
Healy: https://ebird.org/checklist/S122510990 One from Kyle Gage:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122518905  From Joel Farwell:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S122507081