Last night's migration was quite evident on Long Island's barrier beaches this
morning. The calm conditions during the overnight combined with a building
NWerly during the predawn hours seemed to push a good number of migrants to the
oceanfront. At Robert Moses State Park in Suffolk County, a light morning
flight was evident with many additional newly-arrived Neotropics in the bushes
as well.
The highlight was a female-type Passerina bunting that appeared around 6am.  It
immediately struck me as Lazuli-like with a bold white median wingbar and a
neatly white-edged greater covert bar.  It was not very cooperative as many
active migrants are along the barrier, but I did manage to study it twice
briefly.
The white wingbars and buffy wash on the flanks seemed suggestive of Lazuli,
but a pale throat, cooler toned upperbreast, two-toned bill and chunkier-headed
appearance is more consistent with INBU influence and lead me to think it is
not a pure bird. I'm not sure what to make of it, but I would think that it is
likely of some degree of hybrid origin (comments welcome!).  It was originally
found near the Field 2 toll booths, was briefly resighted further west closer
to the turnaround, before disappearing for good (likely bouncing westward
beyond down the barrier strip).
Other interesting migrants were present indicative of the active movement
overnight. This ranged from the broadly common, but locally very significant
species such as multiple Green Herons, Warbling Vireo, Blue Jay, and Wood
Thrush (all very scarce on the barrier except during good flights) -- to a few
regionally-scarce migrants like a male Blue Grosbeak that dropped in near the
tollplaza and Orange-crowned Warbler.
Full details of the morning and poor photos of the Passerina can be seen at:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S109029452
Best,Mike McBrien