I’m sure others have been following this more closely than I have, but it came
to my attention that there has been an effort to pass legislation in New York
State which would ban the use of neonicotinoid “neonic" pesticides in NYS.

A prior attempt to pass legislation stalled in 2022, but it is being proposed
again for the 2023 legislative session.

I thought I would share some information here about it, as I understand it:

Original 2021-2022 Assembly
Bill:https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/a7429/amendment/a (Passed)

Original 2021-2022 Senate Bill:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2021/s699/amendment/d (Stalled in
Committee)

Revised 2023-2024 Assembly Bill:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/A3226 (Active in Committee)

Revised 2023-2024 Senate Bill:
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2023/S1856 (Active in Committee)

In Sum:

The legislation enacts the birds and bees protection act; prohibits the sale of
certain pesticides or use of seeds coated with such pesticides; requires the
department of environmental conservation to review the latest scientific
information concerning certain pesticide active ingredients.

Additional pertinent links:

https://abcbirds.org/neonics

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-020-0582-x

https://www.audubon.org/magazine/spring-2017/the-same-pesticides-linked-bee-declines-might

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/widely-used-pesticide-makes-birds-lose-weight

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/neonic-nation-is-widespread-pesticide-use-connected-to-grassland-bird-declines/

https://www.nrdc.org/stories/neonicotinoids-101-effects-humans-and-bees

https://xerces.org/publications/scientific-reports/how-neonicotinoids-can-kill-bees

Those who may not have seen the documentary The Messenger, it is well worth
watching.

https://songbirdsos.com/

In the documentary The Messenger they touch on some of the evidence being
collected that links the damaging use of neonicotinoid pesticides, among many
other detriments, which are contributing to the decline in global bird
populations. I realize it is not available to stream for free, or at least
nowhere I could easily find.

Hope this helps in better understanding the issues here.

Sincerely,
Chris T-H

--
Christopher T. Tessaglia-Hymes — Field Applications Engineer
K. Lisa Yang Center for Conservation Bioacoustics, Cornell Lab of Ornithology