Hi all,

I spent a good 7+ hours on the East Pond yesterday and finally got in a full
survey.

The shorebird highlights included: Baird’s Sandpiper (reported by Corey Finger)
and Wilson’s Phalarope (reported by Karlo Mirth).

The Baird’s was not seen again by me after it flushed near the Raunt during one
of several passes by two young Peregrine Falcons. The shorebirding was fun
until those two showed up and they kept on putting up the birds all morning. I
spotted the two perched near Calidrid Crossing and I had words with them. I
don’t think they were too concerned and gave me that smug look of theirs. A
couple of Punks I say!

But I digress: The Wilson’s Phalarope which was reported from the Northend was
still there into the afternoon. Although the light looking Northwest from the
East side of the pond was savage, I managed to find it and even got video. A
cautionary note about the Northend. The water there is still around 6 inches
high and in some places even higher. Venturing onto the pond from the Northend
should only be attempted by seasoned Northend visitors and even then....Please
use extreme caution if you must go in from that end.

Stilt Sandpipers, which have been tough to get on the pond this season
apparently might be favoring the North. I had 19 feeding near where the
Wilson’s Phalarope was. To that point, I had only recorded 2 while schelping
from the South and only seen as many as 4 in previous visits.

Western Sandpipers continue to show well on the Pond;  I was one shy from
scoring another double digit day this season. Keep an eye out for a one-legged
critter.

Pectoral Sandpipers: as many as 8 counted with 4 favoring near the Raunt for
most of the morning. While near the Raunt, keep an eye and ear for Least
Bittern. There were two calling back and forth near there. Also observed by a
Photographer (cousin) who shared the intel.

A juvenile Ruddy Turnstone, one species that always gets me excited to see on
the pond was favoring the Raunt. Steve Walter was enjoying himself getting
shots of the bird.

Semipalmated Sandpipers, mostly juveniles, continue in good numbers. It is a
delight to see them feeing and cavorting around on the open flats.

Least Sandpipers numbers have dropped significantly. Less than a 100 on the
pond.

Only two White-rumped Sandpipers. Both adults with one bird having a slight
limp.

Lesser Yellowlegs outnumber the Greater Yellowlegs. Most of the Lessers are
juveniles and were doing a lot of in your face flexing with each other.

Small numbers of Dowitchers. All juveniles and all Short-billed. There was one
interesting bird up at the Northend that could have possibly been a Long-billed
(LBDO); however, the look was just too far and not convincing enough for me to
clinch for LBDO.

Other non shorebird highlights include: adult Bald Eagle. I have seen this bird
at least 3 times in previous visits but I have yet to snag a digiscope photo.
It tends to perch in one of the blind spots on the pond and once you come into
view, it bolts.

3 Purple Martins, all near the southend. Many Barn, Tree and a few Bank
Swallows were feeding throughout the morning.

2 CASPIAN Terns. One adult (Banded) and one juvenile. Sadly, I was unable to
read the band on the adult before it relocated into deeper water where I could
no longer see the band.

Duckage numbers are up. Blue-winged Teals (225), Green-winged Teals (50),
Northern Shovelers (75), American Wigeons (9) are all building along with the
usual suspects.

The pond has shaped up quite nicely; especially on the Southend. While some
nice flats opened have up on the east side there are still areas where the
water is up to your calves. For example the area just before the Raunt has a
spot that can be tricky. A birder who I will not name, once got a nasty cut in
that spot. Since then, I have cut a trail into the Phragmites to get past that
area. Look for it on your right as you walk towards the Raunt.

Remember, knee high boots and please keep your talking to a minimum so as not
to disturb the birds. Before the Peregrines showed up, not even the air brakes
on the nearby A train spooked the birds. Now, they are are quite jumpy.

Good East Pond Birding!

--------
"I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of
others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence." ~ Frederick
Douglass

風 Swift as the wind
林 Quiet as the forest
火 Conquer like the fire