This park has become quite a magnet for unexpected warbler species the last
couple of weeks, especially singing males in lovely plumage. So far I've
seen Magnolia, Northern Parula, Black-and-White, and Ovenbird...and though
they don't all flag as rare, I bird this park a lot, and this seems very
unusual here in this season. (They don't look or act like early
migrants--is the consensus that these are birds displaced by the Canadian
wildfires, or some other cause?) Seems worth keeping an eye out in the park
for others as well....
--Joe Wallace
P.S. Andrew Baksh's heartening report from Jamaica Bay reminded me of the
Father's Day essay I wrote for Saw Mill River Audubon--and posted here--a
few years back, about my Dad and that wonderful preserve. As it happens, he
and it also appear in my latest piece, which is more about the
places--landscapes--that speak most deeply to us. Dad had his, I have mine,
and I always wonder if you all have one, too. Apologies if this is too o/t,
but if you're interested:
https://www.blog.sawmillriveraudubon.org/our-inner-landscapes/.