Not that I have a solution, but I just wanted to point out that your
criticism of OAuth basically holds for just about all forms of client-side
token solutions in some form or another.
Folks like Adobe and Microsoft have invested a lot in DRM to try to solve
this problem, but if there's motivation, nothing is really 100% secure — or
100% scalable.

The question is whether OAuth makes things better — and I think, generally
it does.

For a different take on your point, at least in the desktop case, your
credentials can't be sold unless you sell the containing computer (see
Twollow, for sale on Sitepoint for $1000, including its database with
Twitter credentials: http://tr.im/twollow).

Lastly, for an example of someone who's doing something LIKE what you're
talking about... check out Multiplex:

http://multiplexapp.com/

>From what I understand, every download is shipped with a unique key that can
be upgraded for access to the full version of the app... In that way, the
download itself has a new consumer key embedded in it. I don't know how this
scales across multiple machines or reinstallations, but at least someone is
doing it... it's from the folks at Indy Labs:

http://labs.indyhall.org/

Chris

--
Chris Messina
Citizen-Participant &

factoryjoe.com // diso-project.org // vidoop.com