SSL can provide data privacy (with encryption) and assure the user or
consumer of the service provider's identity (with certificate-based
server authentication).  OAuth doesn't do any of this.

A mix of HTTP and HTTPS can be used. For example, one could use HTTPS
for sending token secrets and sending the user's password to the
service provider, and use HTTP for access to protected resources. Of
course, the consumer and service provider must agree to these choices.
Some service providers support both, leaving the choice up to their
consumers.

Bear in mind that Twitter doesn't need very strong security, since it
doesn't handle money or private information.