A client_id parameter would still be presented in the end user
authorization request. The text Brian E. quoted is what mandates any
specifications/documents/agreements that define how to use client
assertions must also define the association between the client_id and
some field(s) in the assertion.

If someone sees a cleaner way to deal with client identity on the user
authorization request when using assertions to authenticate the client
to the token endpoint, please speak up and lets discuss it.   However,
in general I do feel it's important to have better defined support in
the core OAuth spec to allow for client authentication methods beyond
just password.

-Brian