Yeah, I had just sort of being going off the assumption that
client_id is required & client_secret is not but, looking at -15
again, I agree that it's not entirely obvious.  There's the text at
the end of section 3 that say allows for unauthenticated clients.
Then in 3.1 both client_id & client_secret are marked as required.
So, while it says unauthenticated clients are allowed, it's not fully
clear how they are supposed to work or what parameters they should
present.

Along the same lines, can an unauthenticated client use HTTP Basic as
shown in section 3.2 to present only the client_id?  Would that just
amount to using an empty string in place of a password? So something
like some_client_id: would end up as the header,
Authorization: Basic c29tZV9jbGllbnRfaWQ6
?