Absolutely agree that some examples are needed. There's a [[ TODO ]] in
there for it. I just hadn't gotten to it yet and wanted to get the I-D up
before the Aug 10 date that Hannes put out there. The example you outlined
is a good start, I think.

Yes, code and refresh tokens would/could be valid tokens. A previously
issued access token might also be. JWT & SAML too. The last paragraph of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-campbell-oauth-sts-00#section-1 attempts
to state that the scope of the doc is only the framework for exchange and
that the "syntax, semantics and security characteristics of the tokens
themselves (both those presented to the are explicitly out of scope."  What
constitutes a valid token will depend on the deployment or additional
profiling.

"So how might sending an act_as token to the token endpoint as part of the
request impact the result." -> in general I was thinking it'd result in an
azp claim or something like that in the returned token.

"Do you see the act_as interacting with PoP to limit who can present the
resulting token. " -> Quite possibly. Though, honestly, I don't yet have a
complete concept of how PoP works in conjunction with all this.

"Is act_as simply duplicating the authentication portion of the current
assertion profile?" -> there is potential for duplication in some cases,
yes. But the motivation for act_as was to give additional flexibility by
allowing an additional party to be represented. Also to try and align with
draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jones-oauth-token-exchange/> to the
extent possible. I had toyed with the idea of only having one inbound token
for the subject and having the client (relying on client authentication) be
the actor. Then maybe a flag to indicate if delegation vs impersonation is
deserted in the returned token. But it seemed like there was a need (things
you'd said among others) for more than two parties to be represented.
There's some refinement to be done for sure though.

"Not having concrete answers at this point is not a problem, but we do need
to think all of this through." -> agree

"I think this document is also useful input." -> thanks