Thanks for your review, Richard.  My responses are inline below...

Per my response on your JWS comments, this is already handed in a more general
way in the JWS validation steps.  Specifically, the last paragraph of Section
5.2 is:

"Finally, note that it is an application decision which algorithms are
acceptable in a given context. Even if a JWS can be successfully validated,
unless the algorithm(s) used in the JWS are acceptable to the application, it
SHOULD reject the JWS."

I would therefore request that you likewise withdraw this DISCUSS on that basis.

> COMMENT:
>
> Abstract.
> Welsh is the only language I know of in which "w" is a vowel.  According to
> Wikipedia, then, "JWT" should pronounced "joot" :)

You're not the only person with knowledge of Welsh to have made this comment.
And this is a Jones responding to you... ;-)

> Section 2.
> It seems like "Unsecured JWT" should simply be defined as "A JWT carried in an
> Unsigned JWS."

It's been useful in other specifications that are applications of JWTs to have
a name for this kind of JWT, since it occurs frequently.

> Section 4.1.
> I'm a little surprised not to see a "jwk" claim, which would basically enable
> JWTs
> to sub in for certificates for many use cases.  Did the WG consider this
> possibility?

Not to my knowledge.  However, I know of several applications in which JWKs and
JWK Sets are carried as claims in JWTs of various kinds - just using claim
names that are informed by the context of the particular application.  For
instance, draft-ietf-oauth-dyn-reg uses a "jwks_uri" claim to pass a JWK Set by
reference and a "jwks" claim to pass a JWK Set by value.

                                Thanks again,
                                -- Mike