On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:44 PM, Brian Campbell <bcampb...@pingidentity.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for your review and feedback on this one too, Richard. Replies are
> inline below...
>
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 10:01 PM, Richard Barnes <r...@ipv.sx> wrote:
>
>> Richard Barnes has entered the following ballot position for
>> draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-bearer-10: Discuss
>>
>> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
>> email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
>> introductory paragraph, however.)
>>

>> Please refer to http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
>> for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.
>>

>> The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
>> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-bearer/

>> DISCUSS:
>>
>> As with draft-ietf-oauth-assertions, the requirement for an "aud" claim
>> seems entirely unnecessary.  Holding this DISCUSS point pending that
>> discussion
>> and its reflection in this document.
>>
>> "Assertions that do not identify the Authorization Server as an intended
>> audience MUST be rejected." -- What does it mean for an assertion to
>> "identify
>> the Authorization Server"?  Does the specified <Audience> need to match
>> the
>> entire URL of the relevant OAuth endpoint?  Just the origin?  Just the
>> domain?
>> Does the URL need to be canonicalized?
>>

> No c14n, as it says, "...  compare the audience values using the Simple
> String Comparison method defined in Section 6.2.1 of RFC 3986."
>
> Basically the AS is at liberty to determine how it identifies itself. Some
> guidance on using the token endpoint is provided but it's ultimately up to
> the AS (or the larger deployment in which the AS exists). The acceptable
> value is one of a few bits of information that must be exchanged for this
> profile, which is discussed in the Interoperability Considerations
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-jwt-bearer-10#section-5

Sigh.  "Negotiate it out of band" is a terrible, non-scalable,
not-in-the-spirit-of-the-Internet answer.  But I guess I might clear on
this if you could add something like the following:
"As noted in Section 5 of [I-D.ietf-oauth-jwt-bearer], the precise strings
to be used as the Audience for a given Authorization Server must be
configured out-of-band by the Authorization Server and the Issuer of the
assertion."

But is there seriously no answer that the WG could agree on?  This seems
like it should be a pretty simple question.  Was it even discussed?

--Richard