Hi Mike,

I've one remaining discuss point and a comment. See below...

On 14/10/14 13:50, Mike Jones wrote:
> The proposed resolutions below have been included in the -28 draft.
> Hopefully you'll be able to clear your DISCUSSes on that basis.
>
> The String Comparison Rules in Section 7.3 have been expanded to talk about
> when the application may need canonicalization rules.
>
>                               Thanks again,
>                               -- Mike

np

>>> I don't see how (non-)signers can divine non-verifier's wishes that
>>> way. (Absent negotiation or a directory.)
>>
>> Sometimes it does occur via negotiation.  For instance, in some protocols, at
>> registration time, relying parties explicitly tell identity providers what
>> algorithms
>> are acceptable to them, which may include "none".  No divination - explicit
>> communication.

>>> That's arguable IMO.
>>
>> I agree that it's application and context-dependent whether it's OK or not.
>> The
>> point is that there exist some circumstances in which it is OK, and this
>> feature is
>> being used in some of those cases.
>>
>>> I think I'll look back over the wg thread and either hold my nose or
>>
>> This issue was tracked as http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/jose/trac/ticket/36.
>> Karen O'Donoghue recorded this conclusion in the tracker "Note: There was
>> extensive discussion on the mailing list, and the rough  consensus of the
>> working
>> group was to leave "none" in the document."
>>
>> Discussion threads on this topic include:
>> [jose] #36: Algorithm "none" should be removed http://www.ietf.org/mail-
>> archive/web/jose/current/msg02911.html - Began Jul 31, 2013  (91 messages)
>> [jose] Text about applications and "alg":"none" http://www.ietf.org/mail-
>> archive/web/jose/current/msg03321.html - Began Sep 3, 2013 (5 messages)
>>
>> This issue was a topic of a special working group call on Aug 19, 2013.  The
>> text
>> discussed in the last thread and published at
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-
>> ietf-jose-json-web-algorithms-33#section-8.5 (Unsecured JWS Security
>> Considerations) was the result of the working group's decisions resulting
>> from all
>> of this discussion.

Thanks for all the pointers above. I read through all the (many!)
Aug 19 mails and most of the `"none" should be removed" thread.

So I do see that there was rough consensus to keep "none" in
the draft and can (with difficulty;-) hold my nose and let that
pass. I do not however, see that there was consensus to make
"none" MTI for this draft. I did see a bit of haggling about
this draft vs. JWS but still do not see why none ought be MTI
here.

>>> Great. "Just say no" is workable here:-) I'll clear when we get such text.

>>> Hmm. Its a moot point (so let's not argue it) but I wonder how often
>>> PII is really needed for authorization with oauth. My guess would be
>>> that its needed far less often than its found to be profitable
>>> perhaps, or that carelessness plays a big role in using PII for such
>>> purposes.

I've cleared on this as you added this text:

  "Of course, including
   only necessary privacy-sensitive information in a JWT is the most
   basic means of minimizing any potential privacy issues."

That seems to me like a fairly offputting way to phrase it. I'd
suggest instead:

  "Omitting privacy-sensitive information from a JWT is the
  simplest way of minimizing privacy issues."

Cheers,
S.

PS: I didn't check the comments.