> In JWS we used ASCII(string) to indicate that the output is a sequence of
> octets, strings are not necessarily 8 characters bits and may have null
> termination etc.
>
> However as Brian states other changes may have removed the need for that.
>
> I admit saying "where STRING is a sequence of zero or more ASCII
> characters.” looks a bit circular.   How about saying "where STRING is a
> sequence of zero or more characters”
>
> The ABNF in Sec 4.1 should keep people from going too wrong on its own.
>
> I think it is OK the way it is, but am willing to change it if people feel
> strongly.

As I've said, that one is the least important of all my comments, and
you folks should do what you think best there.  If you prefer to leave
the "ASCII(x)" notation for consistency, clarity, or whatever else,
I'm not going to say any more about it.

And many thanks for dealing with the other changes I've suggested.

Barry