From: Mike Jones <michael.jo...@microsoft.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2018 11:45 AM
To: Alexey Melnikov <aamelni...@fastmail.fm>; The IESG <i...@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-oauth-discov...@ietf.org; oauth-cha...@ietf.org; oauth@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [OAUTH-WG] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on
draft-ietf-oauth-discovery-09: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Hi Alexey,

FYI, the only place in the spec that case-insensitive comparisons exist are
comparisons done by the Designated Experts when considering IANA registrations.
 If implementations had to do case-insensitive comparisons, then yes,
recommending toLowerCase() would absolutely make sense, but it's human beings
doing the case folding when evaluating proposed registrations.  I'll also note
that this is exactly the same language used in the instructions to Designated
Experts in related registries.  For instance, you can see it in use at these
(and many other) locations:

Whereas the use of toLowerCase() in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8265#section-3.3.1 makes perfect sense, because
it's a transformation performed by computer programs.

That said, I'll leave it up to you.  If you still want me to make a change, I'd
propose making this one:  Change "Names may not match other registered names in
a case-insensitive manner unless the Designated Experts state that there is a
compelling reason to allow an exception" to "Names may not match other
registered names in a case-insensitive manner (one that would cause a match if
the Unicode toLowerCase() operation were applied to both strings) unless the
Designated Experts state that there is a compelling reason to allow an
exception".

If you still want a change, I'll add this parenthetical remark during the next
set of edits.  (However, I'll wait for Adam to weigh in on his DISCUSS before
republishing.)

Let me know.

                                Thanks again,
                                -- Mike