Hi,

thanks for pointing this out!
This was exactly what confused us during reading *-* the main threat we
see and which is not addressed is related to the app impersonation attack.
Even PKCE does not help against the app impersonation attack.

So a "Native App + Dynamic Client Registration" can be seen at a
different "confidentiality level" than a "public client", because every
native App can dynamically register itself on the IdP.
The IdP cannot distinguish, for example, an honest native client from an
malicious client starting an app impersonation attack.

We agree that, e.g., a leaked code cannot be redeemed unless you have
the respective client_id/client_secret.

But... we asked ourselfs, in which cases does a code leak?

1) In the front-channel. In this case, it is true that no client
credentials leak and an attacker cannot redeem the code.

2) In the back-channel. But if this channel is insecure, you directly
get client credentials (unless client_secret_jwt is used as pointed out
by George).

So, Dynamic Client Registration only helps if the code leaks alone (as
in 1.), or if it leaks on different levels (e.g. logfiles).

On the opposite site, if Dynamic Registration is available, an attacker
can very easily do an app impersonation attack by registering on the
IdP. To be clear, it is not "impersonation" as in the "one secret per
software" scenario, because different client_id and client_secret is
used, but to the best of my knowledge, the IdP cannot distinguish
between an honest app and an app impersonation client that has simply
registered.

In addition, if the IdP supports the dynamic client registration:
How can the IdP distinguish between confidential and public/native clients?
With respect to the consent page, which must be shown every time for
native apps, this is an important issue, which should be addressed properly.

Best Regards
Vladi/Christian