From: Phillip Hunt <phil.h...@independentid.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 6, 2020 1:16 PM
To: Mike Jones <michael.jo...@microsoft.com>
Cc: Aaron Parecki <aa...@parecki.com>; Steinar Noem <stei...@udelt.no>;
oauth@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] OAuth 2.1 - require PKCE?

Why couldn’t OIDC evolve as a spec to conform and match FAPI and 2.1?
Phil

On May 6, 2020, at 12:34 PM, Mike Jones
<michael.jo...@microsoft.com<mailto:michael.jo...@microsoft.com>> wrote:

Yes, FAPI requires PKCE, which is great.  Many of its requirements come from
OpenID Connect but some of them are intentionally incompatible – such as
requiring that Basic authentication not be supported, whereas Connect requires
that it be supported.  It’s a different ecosystem with different requirements.

Don’t get me wrong, I support PKCE where it makes sense, such as when you’re
doing bare OAuth without OpenID Connect.  But trying to impose an unnecessary
requirement on a working and secure ecosystem will just create grief for us and
our customers and lessen our credibility as stewards of the OAuth ecosystem.

                                                       -- Mike