> On 11. May 2020, at 08:47, Neil Madden <neil.mad...@forgerock.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11 May 2020, at 07:41, Torsten Lodderstedt <tors...@lodderstedt.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11. May 2020, at 07:38, Neil Madden <neil.mad...@forgerock.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There is no attack that this prevents so your claim of improving security
>>> is unsubstantiated. I can’t see how we can ship a 2.1-compliant-by-default
>>> AS while this requirement remains so I don’t support it.
>>
>> Are you saying PKCE does not prevent any attack?
>
> No, but servers and clients are already free to support PKCE. I’m saying that
> rejecting requests from non-PKCE clients doesn’t prevent any attack. It just
> denies service to legitimate clients.

There are two aspects to this topic:

1) Do all ASs support PKCE? Requiring PKCE support fosters interoperability and
security. Security since the client can be sure the AS supports PKCE. Today, if
the AS does not support PKCE, the client will never learn since a compliant AS
will just ignore additional request parameters.

2) Do ASs enforce PKCE? This fosters security since it forces clients to
implement a means against code replay and CSRF.