From: OAuth [oauth-boun...@ietf.org] on behalf of Jacob Ideskog
[jacob.ides...@curity.io]
Sent: Friday, September 3, 2021 10:42 AM
To: oauth
Subject: [OAUTH-WG] RAR 05 - Token response with sensitive data in
draft-ietf-oauth-rar-05

Hi all,

I have a question about section 7.0 and 7.1 in draft-ietf-oauth-rar-05 that
describes the token response.

The authorization_details values could be sensitive in their nature. The
example in section 7.1 highlights this nicely. The accounts array is empty when
the client requests it, but is enriched by the AS and returned to the client in
the token response.

This means that the AS may leak potentially sensitive information to the client
in a new place. Before this was only possible in the ID Token or UserInfo or if
the AS returned a JWT as an access token which the client popped open (even
though it shouldn't).

I understand that the spec considers this an option for the AS to enrich or
not. I think the enrichment is good and necessary, but with the side-effect of
it ending up in the token response it becomes an issue.

Is the token response a mirror of the authorization_details claim in the
corresponding access token, or can it be a masked version?

Perhaps the security considerations section should be updated with a statement
with regards to the fact that the client may see claim data only intended for
the RS?

Regards
Jacob Ideskog

--