Hi Daniel,

The key sentence from the introduction is the following sentence:

   However, when a signed JWT is intended to be multi-use, it needs to
   contain the superset of all claims
   the user might want to release to verifiers at some point.

Before diving into the proposed solution, it would be useful to identify these multi-use cases.

Does the document intend to consider the single case of a client making requests to two different verifiers or more elaborated cases ?

If the signed JWT is intended for two verifiers, wouldn't it be simpler for developers of clients to ask for two independent signed JWTs
and for developers of verifiers to verify one independent signed JWT ?

If other words, what are the advantages and the drawbacks associated with this approach ?

Denis

All,

Kristina and I would like to bring to your attention a new draft that we have been working on with many others over the past weeks. "Selective Disclosure JWT (SD-JWT)" describes a format for signed JWTs that support selective disclosure (SD-JWT), enabling sharing only a subset of the claims included in the original signed JWT instead of releasing all the claims to every verifier.

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-fett-oauth-selective-disclosure-jwt-01.html

Initial feedback we got was positive and we now would like to hear from the working group with the eventual goal of asking for working group adoption.

Issues are tracked in our GitHub repository: https://github.com/oauthstuff/draft-selective-disclosure-jwt/issues

The approach to selective disclosure described in the document is based on salted hashes. We have discussed and explored other approaches based on encryption as well. If you are interested in following this discussion, we would like to invite you to read this issue: https://github.com/oauthstuff/draft-selective-disclosure-jwt/issues/30

One main goal with this work is that the format should be easy to implement, requiring little more than a regular JWT library. Three working implementations show that this goal has been achieved: https://github.com/oauthstuff/draft-selective-disclosure-jwt#implementations

We are looking forward to your feedback!

-Daniel