Thank you, Warren, for the review and ballot. I've replied inline below and
put together this small PR with corresponding edits:
https://github.com/danielfett/draft-dpop/pull/183/files

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 1:10 PM Warren Kumari via Datatracker <
nore...@ietf.org> wrote:

> Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-oauth-dpop-14: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to
> https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dpop/

> COMMENT:
>
> Thank you for writing this; I found it a fascinating and informative read.

Appreciate that! Thanks :)

> I don't have any particularly substantive comments, but I do have some
> nits and
> similar to hopefully further improve the document.
>
> 1: "These stolen artifacts can later be used together independent of the
> client
> application to access protected resources." -- I found this really hard to
> parse. I think that some of it is the "used together independent"
> formulation -
> adding a comma would help, but I think just dropping "together" works even
> better (it does say "artifacts" in plural, so that's already covered?)

Indeed that is really hard to parse. I agree with dropping the word
"together".

2: "Properly audience restricting access tokens can prevent such misuse" - I
> think that it would be helpful to reword this, or find a reference for
> "audience restricting"

That sentence caught the ire of Éric Vyncke in his review/ballot and
already had one attempt at improvement by me
<https://github.com/danielfett/draft-dpop/commit/010c913e41aabf695cd321245b45b9f928198832#diff-cbb16c6731a89f7daa2f8f1963f5c005633f4273846af12926d187292cb3a66bR168>.
But I can also add a reference, of sorts. I'm not aware of a good/easy
reference for the concept of audience restricting but can point to the
RFC7519 JWT `aud` claim as an example of .

> 3: Might it be worth adding a reference for XSS? I'm guessing that the
> audience
> will already be familiar, but if not,
> https://owasp.org/www-community/attacks/xss/ ?

I feel like "cross-site scripting (XSS)" stands on its own okay and still
gives an unfamiliar audience enough to search for more info.

4: Question: Why is the Nonce optional? Perhaps I missed it, but I was
> unable
> to find any discussion (I was expecting something in Sec 8,9 or 10)
> providing
> some reason why a server might not use a nonce (the closest I found was
> "The
> logic through which the server
>    makes that determination is out of scope of this document.", so I'm
> guessing
>    that there *is* a reason, but... )

Long story short, the reason is basically that there's complexity and extra
round trip costs in using it. And there were and are differing perceptions
of its value in different circumstances.  The rough consensus was to leave
its use (if/when/how) at the discretion of the server.

computer. Thank you._