I have submitted a new draft:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cecchetti-oauth-rar-cedar

This is intended to be a profile of RFC 9396 OAuth 2.0 Rich Authorization
Requests (OAuth RAR). OAuth RAR defines an authorization_details parameter, but
leaves the format of the parameter open. This profile defines a rarFormat
parameter to further constrain authorization_details to use a specific format
called "cedar."

The use case for this draft is the same as the OAuth RAR use case - i.e. open
banking specifically, and fine-grained authorization generally. The intent is
to make the standard more interoperable by specifying the policy language which
will be used to communicate the authorization request and response. The
language used in these examples is Cedar, an open-source policy language -
https://www.cedarpolicy.com/en. Putting Cedar policy sets within an OAuth token
enables the client and RS to conduct transactions which conform to specific
fine-grained policies which have been blessed(signed) by the AS.

Open Questions:

  1.  Should we create a separate informational draft defining the Cedar
language itself within the universe of the IETF? Or is it fine to leave that
undefined?
  2.  Is rarFormat the right name for this parameter?
  3.  Should policySet be required?
  4.  I tried to keep this draft fairly simple and duplicate examples in the
OAuth RAR RFC without redundantly stating what is already defined there. Did I
include too little? Too much?

This is my first draft submission, so any and all feedback is welcome, and
apologies if my xml is incorrectly formatted. I'm ignorant about many things in
the standards process. :)

Sarah Cecchetti