Hi Rainer,

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 21:27 +0800, Rainer Rehak wrote:
> Hej Armin,
> I am very happy that my feedback is apprechiated. ;-)
>
> Given your answers, I would like to further clarify some things you
> mentioned and get a bit more into details with my questions. =)
>
> Firstly, your comment about the default root directory made me check
> it out, but I found the following directories:
> .infinote
> .infinoted (empty)
> .infinoted-records
> .infinote-records

> What is the difference between .infinote and .infinoted? And how can
> I understand, that infinoted uses ~/.infinote, not ~/.infinoted

the .infinoted directory is used for private files for infinoted. For
example when you are running it with TLS support, it caches the
Diffie-Hellman (DH) parameters in it. The naming is mostly historic.

> I would also add the information about the default value for the
> root-directory option to the man page entry:
>
>  -r, --root-directory=DIRECTORY
>                A directory to save the document tree into
>             (infinoted-xml format). This can be
>             understood as session directory. Default is ~/.infinote
>
> This also means, that autosave-interval does really make sense
> without the "--root-directory" option. Suggested man page edit:
>
> from
>
>   --autosave-interval=INTERVAL
>                       Interval  within  which  to  save the document
>               tree to the given directory, in seconds, or 0
>               to disable autosave. The default is 60s after
>               the last client has disconnected.
>               Requires --root-directory.

>  --autosave-interval=INTERVAL
>                       Interval  within  which  to  save the document
>               tree to the given directory, in seconds, or 0
>               to disable autosave. The default is 60s after
>               the last client has disconnected.

I made the changes to the manpage (slightly rephrased, but the
information is the same). Will push it soon.

> Concerning the interval options: The following commands are
> functionally equal, right?
>
> $ infinoted --security-policy=no-tls --root-directory=/tmp/
> --autosave-interval=0
> $ infinoted --security-policy=no-tls --root-directory=/tmp/
>
> and also:
>
> $ infinoted --security-policy=no-tls --sync-directory=/tmp/
> --sync-interval=0
> $ infinoted --security-policy=no-tls

Yes.

> I guess --autosave-interval=0 is questionable, but --sync-interval=0
> should really not be allowed. Sure, the semantics are clear, but why
> should I specify where exactly my docs will not be exported to. ;-)
> Call me a nitpicker, but consistency is key for learning new stuff,
> I think.

You can use it to overwrite an option in the config file... for example
if directory synchronization is enabled in the config you can easily
disable it on the command line by passing --sync-interval=0.

> Running the server within the gobby process would be awesome. If you
> let me fantasise, I would even imagine a list of shortcuts in the
> "Start local server..." menu. This way one could easily switch
> projects like described before, nice! Attached see a very realistic,
> high-quality mockup ;-D Partly in german though.

Thanks. I have already a good idea of how I want this to work and
started with the implementation.

> Finally, is there also a logging option for the infinoted server, so
> I can see if and who is connected, maybe just to stdout or even into
> a file, if daemonized. Something like

Something like this has been added for the next version of infinoted.
There is a --log-path option, where you can specify a file and it will
write some logging information into it. It does track opened and closed
connections, but not (yet) created and deleted documents. It also logs
when certain errors occur.

> $ infinoted --autosave-interval=20 --security-policy=no-tls
> Loaded plugin
> "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/infinoted-0.5/note-plugins/libinfd-note-plugin-text.so"
> (InfText)
> IPv6 Server running on port 6523
> [6. Jun 7:03:19 2013] User "snowden" (124.217.139.12) joins the session
> [6. Jun 7:05:29 2013] Folder "NSA-docs" created by user "snowden"
> [6. Jun 7:09:45 2013] Document "NSA-docs/prism.db" created by user
> "snowden"
> [10. Jun 11:03:19 2013] User "CYLeung" (202.128.243.212)  joins the
> session
> [10. Jun 21:03:43 2013] User "CYLeung" deletes document
> "NSA-docs/prism.db"
> [10. Jun 21:03:39 2013] User "CYLeung" leaves the session
>
> Or to print status information when receiving a SIGHUP or similar.

What's happening right now on SIGHUP is a hot-reload of the
configuration file. This allows you to change the server password or
other settings on the fly without having the throw out users.

> This is just an idea, since I haven't found how the server admin can
> see what is happening in the sessions (to know (s)he can restart the
> server and such). Gobby itself is also very quiet, which is sad,
> since it segfaults here from time to time.

Do you know whether it prints something to the terminal when this
happens?

> But ok, enough questions... ;-) I really love this piece and I am
> starting to use it regularly.

nice to hear :)

> Thanks so much
> Rainer