Hi,

For everyone taking part in tomorrows' Reliability Ride, here's
something you might find inspiring.

Cheers to all,

Bill

Wolfgang Fasching has set a new 24 hour (non-drafting) record on the
road with 856 km.

The UMCA (& RTTC) record of Andy Wilkinson is 844 km set in 1997.
This record remains unchanged since Fasching's record was not set
according to UMCA rules. Right now it is not yet clear whether
another recognizing organization was involved in this record attempt.

Below is a translation of an article from the Austrian "Kleine
Zeitung" newspaper found at http://www.kleine-zeitung.at

Wolfgang Fasching suffered, however he surpassed the old 24-hour
world record by twelve kilometers.

Parktherme Bad Radkersburg, 2 May, 15.45 h

Also those visitors of the Parktherme who do not know much about
sport are feeling the tension in the air. The reason for this tension
is Wolfgang Fasching's latest project. He wants to ride his bike in
24 hours further than any other human being before. The technical
notion for this is: 24-hour world record attempt with the road bike.

Still ten minutes up to the start.
Professionally Wolfgang Fasching takes care for a last photo session:
"I will give my best and we will see what happens. If I'm not
successful, I'm not going to be extremely disappointed." But it is
undeniable: He is eager to take on this challenge and can hardly
expect the start. To be not successful seems to be an option he does
not consider
seriously.

Halbenrain, 2 May, 21.00 h.
The sun is away, it becomes cool, about 100 fans are waiting in a
tent next to the course for Wolfgang Fasching, who passes all 17 to
18 minutes.  He seems to ride like a clockwork. Behind the scene
however, there is a lot of activity going on in his support crew.
"Wolfgang started somewhat too fast, he had back pain and a first
light crisis", explains Christian Fink. Fink and Marco Gottaris, both
physicians at the University of Innsbruck, supervise the state of
health of the ultra cyclist. And they help, if necessary. In this
case with heat packings, which were put into Wolfgang's back pockets.
Sleep is not an option in this night. Neither for Fasching, nor for
his support crew.

Halbenrain, 3 May, 1.00 h.
It is chilly, pitch-dark and calm. The music band in the tent has
already stopped to play and with the exception of the responsible
persons nobody is around anymore. The hardest part of the challenge
begins. The time until the sun comes up again seems like eternity.
But Fasching is not alone.  His wife and the support crew is around
and above all his thoughts.  And they say: keep on going.

Halbenrain, 3 May, 13.00 h
Fasching is still within his schedule, but he becomes slower.
Franz Stocher, one of the best Austrian cyclists on the track and
double bronze medal winner at the world championships and Arnold
Eisel, professional cyclist from Styria, are riding behind him.  They
cheer him up, scream at him. Rude words are used. But it helps.
Fasching gets out of his crisis. He struggles through.

Parktherme, 3 May, 16.00 h.
The tension is over, Wolfgang Fasching did it.
In numbers: 856 kilometers in 24 hours. He surpassed the old world
record by 12 kilometers.

--

RIDE TO SURVIVE:
http://www.ridetosurvive.org

Ride To Survive can be contacted the following ways:

By Mail:
358 Richmond Road,
Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada