Senate OKs $15,000 tax break for homebuyers
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090205/...gress_stimulus
By DAVID ESPO, AP Special Correspondent David Espo, Ap Special Correspondent –
29 mins ago

WASHINGTON – The Senate voted Wednesday night to give a tax break of up to
$15,000 to homebuyers in hopes of revitalizing the housing industry, a victory
for Republicans eager to leave their mark on a mammoth economic stimulus bill
at the heart of President Barack Obama's recovery plan.

The tax break was approved without dissent and came on a day in which Obama
pushed back pointedly against Republican critics of the legislation even as he
reached across party lines to consider a reduction in the spending it contains.

"Let's not make the perfect the enemy of the essential," Obama said as Senate
Republicans stepped up their criticism of the bill's spending and pressed for
additional tax cuts and relief for homeowners. He warned that failure to act
quickly "will turn crisis into a catastrophe and guarantee a longer recession."

Democratic leaders have pledged to have legislation ready for Obama's signature
by the end of next week.