Downgrade to Sell on corporate governance concerns
We believe the recent corporate actions—a series of expensive
acquisitions which
do not appear to add much value, costly debt raisings and the lack of
transparency
around these transactions—imply significant risks that may undermine the
company's underlying value, despite the undisputed quality of its core
coal assets.
Further, as most coal companies are trading at similar valuations to
Bumi (2-4x09F
PE), the risk is not worth taking; INDY, ITMG and UNTR provide better
options for
Indonesian coal exposure.
Recent expensive transactions
BUMI signed a total of US$563m for acquisition of three companies in
one week.
The expensive price tags (valuations of over 2-3x comparable
transactions), and
lack of specifics on the assets' potential heighten our concern about
the risk of
further value-destructive acquisitions. Indeed, the staggered payment
structure,
requiring actual payment of US$140m in 2009 against the US$620m in funding
available currently, means that similar acquisitions in the near term
cannot be
discounted
Reducing earnings forecast
We cut our earnings forecasts for Bumi by 34% in 08 and 57% in 09F,
reflecting
lower volume (52mT in 08 and 56mT in 09F) and lower ASP (US$73/T in 08 and
US$67/T in 09F) assumptions, based on the benchmark price of US$81/T
in 09F.
Cutting 12-month share price target to Rp500 from Rp7,680
We have applied a 55% discount to our life-of-mine DCF-based NPV (WACC:
14.3%) to reflect significant risks related to the company's corporate
governance.
Our TP implies 1.4x 09F PE and US$1.3 EV/ton. Upside risks:
higher-than-expected
coal price and volume, and higher-than-expected dividend payment.

Kirim email ke