From: Jacob Oen <oenja...@yahoo.com>
Subject: [ob] What's the Meaning of Life? =OOT=
To: obrolan-bandar@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, February 3, 2010, 2:57 PM

      Realisation: What's the Meaning of Life?

Once upon a time, there was a very small boy called Zeph, who wondered much
about the very large world he lived in. After his first day at a new school
(which he didn't like), being surrounded by strangers in a strange land, it
struck him that life could be pretty unexpectedly unpleasant. When he reached
home, he went straight to bed, pulling the blanket over his head. His Mum and
Dad came in and asked lovingly, "What's wrong boy?" Suddenly, it occured to
Zeph to ask, "Ma, Pa... What's the meaning of life?"

They were stunned for a while, before Dad answered a-matter-of- factly, "Well,
in life - you eat, sleep, play, go to school, work, get married, have kids and
live happily ever after!" Zeph listened silently, still with his
 blanket over him, wondering why Dad didn't mention he had to die at the end.
It disturbed him that death is inescapable and that it could strike any time.
Secretly, he beared some resentment to his parents for having given birth to
him. Yes, it felt much like the words of "Bohemian Rhapsody"... "Mama, I don't
want to die, I sometimes wish I'd never been born at all." He wondered why he
should go through the tremendous efforts of staying alive (eg. go to school),
since death's eventual and any struggle to live forever seems ultimately futile.

One day, he chanced upon the religion and philosophy section of his school
library. Astounded that there were many books on the meaning of life, he
borrowed many, hungrily devouring the various schools of thought which evolved
throughout history.

Zeph realised that the meaning of life was to make life meaningful, to help one
and all attain True Happiness by increasing our compassion (to each other) and
our wisdom (of the nature of life and death). There's simply nothing else more
worth doing.

Exactly because life is transient, it should be treasured from moment to
moment, without attachment. Life became worthwhile, a golden opportunity to
learn well and live well. Zeph didn't hate school anymore. After all, life
itself is a school. True graduation is to become fully enlightened. Learn well
now! As in the last words of the Awakened One, "Strive on with diligence!"
-Shen Shi'an

--- End forwarded message ---

Kirim email ke