From: Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Jan 11, 2008 6:52 PM
Subject: [stockinvestorsforum] Merrill may write down $15 billion
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  End of article- Mid East Asian firms to add capital - no offence meant
but the mislim world is buying more and more of "our" little world .
Ownership means control , to greater or lesser degree . Our enemies
become our "saviors" . Islam is not Japan , I see no comparison with
Japan buying up US stuff in the 80s to what is occuring now . Apples
and ORANGES - Bill

Broker expected to take staggering loss on bad mortgage bets when it
posts results next week, paper reports.
January 11 2008: 6:13 AM EST
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Merrill Lynch is expected to report a
bigger-than-expected $15 billion writedown when it reports its
quarterly results next week, according to a report in The New York Times.

Many Wall Street analysts had anticipated that Merrill would take a
$12 billion writedown due to mortgage-related losses when it reports
results next Wednesday. Right now Merrill is expected to post a steep
loss in the fourth quarter.

As a result of the deep loss, the nation's largest broker is looking
to raise capital from an outside investor, the newspaper said, citing
people who had been briefed on the matter.

* Sources told the Times that the company was in talks with overseas
investors in Asia and the Middle East as well American private equity
firms in an effort to raise $4 billion.

This would not be the first time Merrill looked to outside investors
for help. In December the company announced it had received at least
$4.4 billion from Singapore's state-run Temasek Holdings.*

Merrill Lynch (MER, Fortune 500) shares finished 3 percent higher in
Thursday trade on the New York Stock Exchange. To top of page

Kirim email ke