http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/petrol-bomb-destroys-nightclub-1.1320055#.T9saJbX1rfY

June 15 2012 at 12:52pm
By Daneel Knoetze

Four people were bound and held hostage by armed robbers before fire
engulfed a popular Observatory nightclub early on Friday morning.

Barmooda nightclub, at the corner of Lower Main and Station roads, was
ablaze at about 2.40am.

Police confirmed witness reports that three men and a woman ran out of the
burning building with their hands bound with cable ties.

“They were screaming for someone to cut the cable ties. The woman was
hysterical. After the cable ties were cut, the people disappeared,” a
witness said today.

Police spokesman November Filander said: “It has been alleged that two
unidentified males entered the club with firearms and held four cleaners
hostage. (They) were handcuffed and taken to the back of the building and
robbed of their cellphones and personal belongings.”

Another witness said he saw two men enter the building through a side door.
The men came out five minutes later and waited at a car which sped off
after the explosion, he said.

A third witness at the scene, who had heard reports of an explosion and
visited the premises, said the nightclub’s steel shutters and plate-glass
windows had been blown out and landed 15 metres down the road.

Police said they suspected petrol bombs were used to burn down the
nightclub but they did not confirm witness reports of an explosion.

Filander said the cleaners were unharmed but traumatised, and police were
investigating arson.

No arrests have been made.

The club owners could not be contacted this morning but a statement was
issued on Barmooda’s Facebook page: “By now u must have heard the sad
rumours. Barmooda was set alight tonight and burned down and there’s
nothing left.

“Staff were hurt and its an emotional time for the Barmooda family. We
appreciate words of support and good wishes. And please take into
consideration some people were hurt tonight. The owner apologises for any
inconvenience caused with regards to bookings and events.”

Theo Layne, spokesman for the city’s Fire and Rescue Services said all
occupants of the building had been safely evacuated and no injuries were
reported. “The fire caused extensive damage to the interior furnishings and
inside roof of the building,” said Layne. It took 19 firefighters to bring
the blaze under control.

Nathan Ladegourdie, spokesman for the city’s Liquor Enforcement described
Barmooda as a “problematic” establishment.

“We have previously issued them a fine for operating without an
entertainment licence. They have also been given a written warning for
violating the streets, public places and prevention of noise nuisance
bylaw,” he said.

[email protected]

*Cape Argus*

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "The 
Observatory Neighbourhood watch" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/obsnw?hl=en.

Reply via email to