Hi Folks,

 

I also saw the exchange and was appalled by the language and the inuendo in 
some of the posts. It has been a long standing issue around election time for a 
couple of years. There are also multiple issues that are getting mixed together 
in this instance.

 

I then went looking for a code of conduct which does not exist for OSM. There 
is an ‘Etiquette’ document https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Etiquette and 
some suggestion that there are admins and occasionally ‘moderators’ for some 
lists. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

 

I contacted an Admin on the talk-list asking if any moderation has taken place 
in regard to both the original thread and the subsequent call to action and was 
advised that ..

 

Those details on moderation are very stale. The Board today asked for proposals 
for code of conduct and moderation processes. There's a group working on it, 
and expect we'll have something in place in the new year. 

 

I personally think OSM needs to get their own house in order first.  We could 
support a code of conduct and moderation processes without getting into the 
current spat.

 

I do however agree that we (Oceania) should be as inclusive as possible, have a 
good code of conduct and stomp on any similar behaviour as quickly as possible 
as it does not help the community at all.

 

My two cents worth

 

Cheers – Phil

Aka tastrax

 

From: Oceania <[email protected]> On Behalf Of Greg Lauer
Sent: Friday, 11 December 2020 10:21 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [OSGeo Oceania] OSM Community issue

 

Hi All,

 

I am sure most of you will be aware of the 'Call to Take Action' being 
circulated in the OSM community. Several members have asked OSGeo Oceania to 
endorse the call to action. See links in email below.

 

We have our first board meeting (as in with the new Board) this afternoon and I 
have put it as an agenda item. I am personally hesitant for the Board to make a 
decision on endorsing the call to action with out some barometer of support 
from members and/or community for such a action (or no action).

 

Can I ask our members and community at large to put some thought into the 
appropriate action that OSGeo Oceania should undertake. For example do we agree 
to simply endorse the Call to action, or do we issue a statement. Or do we not 
support the Call to Action? I realize this is short notice but that is out of 
our control :-(

 

Some of the community (including myself) have made some comments on the working 
document (link below this email)

 

The meeting starts at 2pm. If anybody wanted to speak to the Board on this 
matter we can make some time available via a Zoom invitation.

 

Thanks

 

Greg

------ Forwarded Message --------
From: Celine Jacquin < <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]>
Date: 12/10/2020 4:57:57 PM 
Subject: [Osmf-talk] Call to Take Action and Confront Systemic Offensive 
Behavior in the OSM Community 
To:  <mailto:[email protected]> [email protected],  
<mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]

Hello everybody
I hope you are all well

We, several groups, chapters, organizations and individuals, have reacted to 
the conversation in the osm-talk-list ( 
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-December/085692.html> 
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-December/085692.html) 
considering that it is an incident symptomatic of the problem we have faced for 
many years in the community, which is one of the greatest obstacles to 
diversity at all levels of OSM. Time to make a real change.

That is why we have developed a beginning of statement on the desirable 
mechanisms to work solidly on the rules of coexistence and improve diversity.


We bring it to your attention and invite anyone who feels represented to sign 
it. Translations are in preparation (any help is welcome): 

 
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/130JCTX9ve4H4ORXznmIVTpXiN3TX8nRGA8ayuTZ9ECI/edit?usp=sharing>
 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/130JCTX9ve4H4ORXznmIVTpXiN3TX8nRGA8ayuTZ9ECI/edit?usp=sharing



On behalf of the signatories


Best regards

Céline Jacquin

_______________________________________________ osmf-talk mailing list  
<mailto:[email protected]> [email protected]  
<https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk> 
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/osmf-talk 

  
<http://tracking.getmailbird.com:8000/opentrackingpixel/?messageId=mailbird-f4350c53-b0a5-4e20-a3e5-0063ef0b2...@gmail.com&senderHash=38A2B06F13C868980E8E5D98E6C576293FF094FB7BFEF8917BA94F0062959723&recipientHash=8AA9D35DF8A14E74ED79104B0406CA93EF39219F051>
 

_______________________________________________
Oceania mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/oceania

Reply via email to