As long as the windows, mac osx and various linux flavours support this
correctly, my feeling is change it to use UTF-8.. However, I seem to
remember that saving loading UTF-8 files Octave posed some problems, coe
you try saving a file a UTF-8 text string with the save options
"-ascii", "-binary" and "-v6" and see if t=you can correctly reload it?

Cheers
David

--
David Bateman                                dbate...@dbateman.org
35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)