Hi Manfred,

Last year Mark Herschberger developed a first prototype of what he called
Multilateral, Asynchronous Bidirectional Synchronisation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Project/Rapid/MarkAHershberger/MABS:_Multilateral,_Asynchronous,_Bidirectional_Synchronisation_(of_wikis)>
 (MABS). The prototype did work, but it did not go much farther because time
and funding - the project is now on hold (and I’m not entirely Mark got around
publishing all his code, I should check with him).

As for getting additional languages, as Emmanuel said there’s a bit of work
around selecting and preparing the content that should go on a WikiFundi
instance. This tool was initially developed to help teach editing, and thus
goes a bit further than just slapping a copy of Wikipedia on an offline
Mediawiki. We certainly could prepare more than just the currently available
French and English versions, but that’d be more labour intensive than simply
pressing a button and would require a bit of funding (not much, but still).

Cheers,
Stephane