Hi,

2009/11/13 Chris Pitchford <of...@intrepid.cx>:
Is the line discipline so much of an issue when using ppp connected to a
fake tty? could that not be handed on the proxy side inside ofono?

I've not tried it on a non-tty but it definitely should work modulo
potential bugs that need to be squashed.  It's supposed to work.

However by using a separate process to do ppp you add overhead.  The
original idea in ofono as well as in other projects (think OpenMoko)
was to have both ppp and multiplexing in the kernel to avoid the
context switches when a lot of data is being sent, but this is not
very portable and causes lots of other problems.  Having both in a
single non-kernel process is going to be almost as fast and much more
portable at the expense of reimplementing part of pppd.

I've had another thought.. and it doesn't push for pppd, but it introduces another idea.

When connecting to an APN for MMS services, there is the possibility of a clash of IP addresses both with other APN connections and with other internet connections (for example wifi)..

For example: wlan0 192.168.1.20/24 default gw 192.168.1.250

ppp0/tun0: 10.1.1.1 <=> 10.255.255.255

and the MMSC (to which the phone will need to communicate to send/receive MMS) is 192.168.1.20

bam.. it clashes with a locally assigned IP address and therefore no policy routing will allow a process to reach 192.168.1.20 via the MMS interface (or atleast not with excessive engineering)

Other clashes may cause problems too..

To solve the problem, the MMS environment could be run in its own kernel network name space. This means the ppp/tun interface would be separate from the other interfaces.. this removes the clashing IP address space problem.

If pppd were used, it could be "wrapped" in a different address space meaning the ppp interface would be localised to an environment that carried out all of the MMS communications. What's more, the work would require no change to the existing global address space.. it very neatly keeps the main environment seperate from the MMS environment that requires its own gateway and IP address space..

I appreciate the chances of a clash are slim, but with telcos using RFC-1918 and home users mainly using the same the chances of a clash are far above zero (and I hear it is a problem for iphone users.. no dig at iphones but a colleage reports seeing MMS traffic over his wireless connection.. not confirmed but still)

So, if ofonod is responsible for creating tun interfaces, I'm not sure it would be possible to isolate them within their own name space and therefore allow concurrent "internet" and "mms" access via two different connections..

I'm still formulating my thoughts on this one, but I hope it is food for thought!

cp