2009/4/8 James Paige <b...@hamsterrepublic.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:04:33AM +1200, Ralph Versteegen wrote:

>> > Yeah, I think we have a couple commands that could go there already
>> > (like the misspelled "suspend catapillar party")
>>
>> But I can never remember which is the right spelling!
>
> My solution is to get in the habit of saying "cat-ur-pile-ar" whenever I
> say it out loud. I sound like a goof, but at least I always spell it
> right :)

That still doesn't help, because I pronounce it as cat-a-pill-a!

>> > ${S#} is worth thinking about though. Once we have real strings, how
>> > will we embed a string into a textbox without requiring the script to
>> > copy the string into an old string ID?
>>
>> I think ID numbers are a very reasonable way to embed things in
>> textboxes. Actually... once you can store strings in global variables,
>> you'll be able to use ${G#} as a replacement for ${S#}, assuming that
>> ${G#} prints an accurate representation of a variable.
>
> Ah, of course! Once globals can hold strings this it would only make
> sense for ${G#} to be able to display strings
>
> I wonder if, after the SAV format has been redone, we can devise a way
> to make it possible to reference globals by name rather than by ID
> number, perhaps using a method similar to what is currently done with
> new-style plotscripts?
>
>> A detail that might be relevant that was never decided (by me, if it
>> was never asked of anyone else) was whether real string variables
>> would be variables bound to string objects (like in Python, where two
>> variables can be bound to the same Dict (mutable) or string
>> (immutable)) or whether each variable (ignoring a pass-by-reference
>> feature, which can be considered aliasing) will always point to a
>> unique string (ignoring implementation details like copy-on-write)
>> that can't be modified by any other variable.
>
> I prefer the python way. If I really explicitly know I need a copy of a
> variable and not a reference, I would rather do something like
>
> v2 := copy(v1)
>
> But at least in my own python programming I find the situtations where
> copying instead of referring is REALLY needed for a REAL reason and not
> just for superstition are awfuly rare.
>
> ---
> James

No, wait, that's different from python, at least for strings, since
strings are immutable in python.

I feel nervous about making the following two situations act differently:

a := 3
b := a
a := 4

a := "3"
b := a
a := "4"

On the other hand, our users are used to working with references to
game objects, which are never copied, and maybe that's what we should
look to?

An alternative to a copy() operator could be a ref() operator.