On 21 December 2012 06:18,  <subvers...@hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
> teeemcee
> 2012-12-20 09:18:12 -0800 (Thu, 20 Dec 2012)
> 70
> Fix crashes in get_hspeak_version in Windows when something goes wrong
> ---
> U   wip/subs2.bas

Ideally get_hspeak_version would not use SHELL at all on Windows,
because it momentarily pops up a console window, which is both ugly
and has a chance of causing both gfx_sdl and gfx_directx to see a
stuck key (I strongly recommend not using SHELL on Windows).
gfx_directx is fixable, but it's a bug in SDL. gfx_fb is not affected.
Anyway a function which uses winapi magic to run a program and return
its output would be nice. It could be built on top of
open_piped_process, but that won't work in win 9x. Piping the output
directly to a file handle instead of a pipe would be simpler and I
think more portable.