On 24 December 2012 08:00, Ralph Versteegen <teeem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23 December 2012 06:42, James Paige <b...@hamsterrepublic.com> wrote:
>> I was thinking about adding a bitset in MenuDef to choose whether the
>> text is displayed flat or outline, and I was wondering doing this would
>> cause problems for future fancy font support? Would font selection
>> become a multistate, flat/outline/fancy ? Would it be nothing like that
>> at all?
>>
>> This is only for insignificant cosmetic details in the battle menu, so I
>> don't have to do it right away.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> ---
>> James
>
> I plan for font selection to be of a font definition ID number. Here
> are my ideas (not settled on; suggestions welcome of course)
>
> One font definition can be a variant of another with edges/drop
> shadow/gradient/tinting added (meaning each font may or may not have
> its own bitmaps... or maybe the bitmaps should be stored separately,
> like box border graphics and box styles). I feel that's simpler than
> having multiple options for font selection everywhere such as
> edged/flat "style". Text colour would still be a separate option,
> though.
>
> When we switch to the new font system I would like to add an addition
> font to each existing game to be used as the default font in Custom so
> that people can change their in-game font without it breaking the
> display of stuff in Custom. And if we're going to have a separate
> font, why not make it a proportionate/variable width one? Then we can
> fit text in more comfortably.
>
> Note that most string fields in Custom would have to display text
> using the in-game font rather than the editor font, especially to show
> custom icon character. Or is that bad? It should not be much trouble
> to code thanks to text markup tags, after adding support in
> standardmenu/usemenu for variable linespacing.
>
> I would give the editor fonts negative ID numbers. Then we could add
> additional editor fonts later: I would love to have a small font which
> we can use for overlays in space-constrained spaces for example. If we
> wanted, we could hide the editor fonts rather than let people edit
> them.
>
> So games would start with 4 fonts defined: editor font flat and edged
> and existing/default/in-game font flat and edged. There would be a
> "default in-game font" setting. text slice and plotstring font style
> bits would be obsoleted and change the font number instead (not sure
> how this will work if users add addtional fonts)
>
> Anyway, feel free to add the bitset, as it can be converted into a
> font number later.

Specially, the bitset can to converted to a font number at load time,
while on the other hand the existing text slice and plotstring style
options are tricky because they can be toggled by scripts at run time.
Oh, we could have both "default in-game font" to replace existing uses
of edged text, and "default in-game menu font" for existing uses of
flat text (but we'll need better names), and the script commands can
just toggle between those.