Thanks to a truly massive amount of work by dkl on the GCC backend in
the last few months amounting to practically a rewrite, the current FB
development version can now compile the OHR using the GCC backend! I
did encounter 6 bugs in the backend (4 of them new) though which I had
to work around. All automated tests pass and I haven't noticed any
unusual behaviour.

This means that we can now port to non-x86 platforms, and can migrate
off my FB Mac port/fork/hack and switch to a more recent FB version. I
wonder whether gfx_sdl or a new SDL2 backend or something else would
be the best bet for Android and iOS support. I don't know when I'll
start looking into a port considering all the other tempting major
features I hoped to work on following the Beelzebufo release.

I'll put up some notes (there aren't many) on the existing wiki page:
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Compiling_with_-gen_gcc

Also, in the last week dkl has also started on a 64 bit FB branch
(which supports -gen gcc only). Surprisingly it seem 'integer' will be
64 bits, with the 32 bit integral type being 'long'. I'm a bit uneasy
with that, but I guess there will not be much code to update
considering that we're already using only 2 bytes in each integer in
most of the IO code.