On Thu, 9 May 2013, Peter Tribble wrote:

And also what differentiates you from other offerings. Specifically,
thinking about other similar projects, what would OI offer that you
wouldn't get from OmniOS (which I regard as the closest distro)?

The main differentiators appear to be the ability to log into a graphical multimedia desktop (similar to Linux) and the ability to install and execute most existing Solaris binaries.

I had a completely different vision - both directionally and technically -
and ended up completely throwing away all the build system(s),
and the entire packaging and install infrastructure. Having to largely
reinvent a whole mass of functionality for Tribblix from scratch was
orders of magnitude easier than using what was inherited from
OpenSolaris.

The Tribblix approach is likely a good one. Start off with a good smaller core and then add more sophisticated features via packages. This requires a new distribution though.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn