Hi Nikola,

Nikola M wrote:

On 03/ 3/15 04:31 PM, Jean-Pierre André wrote:
Hi Ken,

ken mays via oi-dev wrote:
Hello,

The lockdown (pkg freeze) is needed mainly on the XServer and Intel
driver.
You need to maintain Intel driver's 2.6.3 or 2.9.1 for XServer 1.7.7.

I assume you mean Intel driver 2.9.1 is compatible with
current Xorg server 1.7.7, but where is it to be found ?

The latest hipster ships with 2.99.917 (not compatible
with Xorg) and older one shipped with 2.6.3 (probably
not compatible with my hardware). An intermediate
version compatible with both Xorg server and hardware
would be nice...

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Could you please also state what is your hardware, brand, model,
configuration and grahics card/integrated graphics model (included in
motherboard, chipset or inside cpu).

scanpci shows :

pci bus 0x0000 cardnum 0x02 function 0x00: vendor 0x8086 device 0x0116
Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
 CardVendor 0x103c card 0x1894 (Hewlett-Packard Company, Card unknown)

On Windows 7 the card is displayed as "Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"

Note : https://www.illumos.org/issues/5670 (from Ken) mentions
"Intel HD Graphics: 2000-6000" to be supported by the Intel
driver not ported to OI, which gives hope for the future.

Xorg.0.log shows on Hipster (any 2014 versions) :
(II) Module intel: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) LoadModule: "vesa"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 6.0
(II) UnloadModule: "intel"
(II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/intel_drv.so

So Xorg tries to use the Intel driver 2.6.3 and gives up.
The vesa driver is used instead, which is not bad (I need
no 3D). The only problem is that I cannot adjust the
brightness, and maximum brightness is unbearable, hence
my initial question.

How it behaves in hipster-2014.1 and maybe booting from live 20141010
DVD/USB?

Same result (no surprise, this is the same driver
and same xorg server).

Idea of freezing X and intel driver is if you freeze it in a working
state, before one updates rest of the system to hipster-2015 for testing
for new bugs. (Works for me for older intel graphics, e.g. 945)

I also tested hipster 2015. The Intel driver fails
because of undefined symbol RegionEmptyData. This is
probably the signature of Xorg server being incompatible
with Intel driver 99.99.917

If also in hipster-2014.1 you do not have your graphics working
correctly (explain how it works, does it display with low
resolution/VESA or something) you can then try installing/booting from
live DVDs of older Openindiana /dev and Hipster release DVDs.

Unfortunately this computer is not old enough (about
two years and a half), and it has always fallen back
to using the vesa driver. This appears to just be
caused by an unsupported graphic model.

I have also tried to configure /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
reject the vesa driver. This has only led to having no
graphics at all.

If with no previous release it worked for you, see that you report a bug
on it, too.
https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana/issues

The conclusion will be to wait for the new Xorg
server...

Ken mentioned an Intel driver 2.9.1 which I could test
if I found it somewhere.

For now, having a way to adjust the brightness through
the vesa driver would be enough.

Jean-Pierre