On Fri, 10 Aug 2018, John Howard wrote:

Yesterday I downloaded the minimal USB.  I am in USA, not Europe or Asia,
so I did not choose an alternative mirror for the download.  Average speed
was modem circa 1990 around 56 Kb/s.  It took almost 3 hours.  Okay, if
that is how it is now.

The problem is, out of curiousity, I compressed the downloaded minimal USB
file 25% using Zip.
Similar savings result for the 2 GiB Live USB down to 1.6 GiB.

If the image is to be compressed, then it is likely that there is a popular compression algorithm (e.g. xz or 7zip) which is more effective than gzip.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn