On 09/11/2018 14:00, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
On 09/11/2018 12:06, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
Hi, I noticed that the mouse right click menu is not available on
MATE. The necessary switch for this should be org.mate.desktop.background
'show-desktop-icons' = true. However, despite it is show in dconf
under the org/mate/desktop/ schema, the name of this switch is
shown and configurable only as org.mate.background. Possible ommission
of the /desktop/ folder ? That would explain why the right mouse
still doesn't work even when switching this (and the corresponding
gnome/ entry) off and on again.

Played around with the org.mate. schemata in /usr/share/glib-2.0,
but no progress. The dichotomy in the nameing scheme stems from
a special 'path=' argument for the background schema, but the
mate names in general apparently don't use the desktop folder (and
editing this into the file, renaming and compiling it causes indeed
loss of all those preferences).
So no clue yet why the show-desktop-icons switch doesn't work, and
right click mouse shows no context menu (on background).

Logging in as a non-root user makes the right mouse context menu
available. So I thought this is something in old config files
for root, deleted .config, .cache, .gconf*, .gnome*, .local,
.elementary, .themes (from offline), logged in again, set
org.mate.background show-desktop-icons to true, re-logged in
again, but still no icons and no context menu.

So all I can conclude now is that all these mate switches
do specifically not work with the root account.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php