On 18/02/2019 13:27, Udo Grabowski (IMK) wrote:
On 18/02/2019 13:00, Peter Tribble wrote:

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 11:36 AM Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabow...@kit.edu
<mailto:udo.grabow...@kit.edu>> wrote:

    Hi,

    I was wondering for a while now why I could not grep man pages anymore,
    like 'man ftp|grep netrc', which was working a couple of OI versions
    before.

Try something like

man ftp | col -x -b | grep netrc

to strip the formatting.

Thanks, that really helps !

    Today I really got curious and found these weird constructions
    in the man page output 'man ftp|od -tc'

    0121460  \b   ~   /  \b   /   .  \b   .   n  \b   n   e  \b   e   t  \b
    0121500   t   r  \b   r   c  \b   c  \n  \n   A  \b   A   T  \b   T   T

    That means: most of the characters are backspaced and written again !
    Checked a couple of man pages, most of them have these useless
    sequences in them, so grepping man pages is mostly impossible now.

ok, not *that* useless, as overprinting via backspace seems to be
not only a common technique for printers to get bold characters,
but also gets interpreted by less and more in that way.
--
Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php