In regard to: Re: [oi-dev] updating the perl stack on hipster, Alexander...:

1) perl sun_solaris module is provided by illumos-gate. illumos-gate is
currently built with Perl 5.22.  The tricky issue is that to build illumos-gate
with Perl 5.30 you need Perl 5.30 sun_solaris modules. The following sequence
usually worked:
Compile illumos-gate with Perl 5.30. First build fails, but produces necessary
modules. Copy them to the build server. Rebuild illumos-gate.
OI-userland component was used to provide modules for perl version different
from one used to build illumos-gate and now is not used.

Ok, thanks for that explanation, Alexander.  That explains much of what
was confusing me about the sun_solaris module.

2) I think the plan should look like this.
- Deliver Perl 5.30.
- Deliver Perl 5.30 modules.

Those first two steps should be "easy", I'll continue working on them and
start submitting PRs when I'm ready.

- Check what dependencies on Perl 5.22 we have, especially depenencies on
libraries (net-snmp? PostgreSQL?) and try to rebuilt it with Perl 5.30. Can be
tricky, given that Perl 5.22 was 32-bit. Perhaps, will have to drop some 32-bit
binaries/libraries.

Understood.  I'll plan on looking at that once I'm close to done with the
modules.

- Switch illumos-gate to Perl 5.30.

Up to now I've only contributed to oi-userland, so when we get this far,
I'll ask for some help.  It will be a while before then.

Thanks for the info!  Much appreciated.

Tim